Published 9th November 2006, 3:11pm
Several hundreds thousand cards, letters and packages is expected to be handled this Christmas season by the Cayman Islands Postal Service.
To ensure that packages arrive safely and on time, the Cayman Islands Postal Service has some simple recommendation that will make a big difference for consumers.
When preparing packages, remember these tips.
- Include all address elements – don’t forget the P.O. Box number and postcode on items destined for local addresses. Packages destined for overseas should have the street address and the apartment or suite number, the city and state or province, postcode and country – and remember to inform your overseas relatives and friends to include the CAYMAN ISLANDS in capital letters on items they are sending here.
- Again include all the elements in the return address.
- Cushion packaged items appropriately. For example, fill glass and fragile hollow items, like vases, with newspaper or packing material to avoid damage due to shock. When mailing framed photographs, take the glass out of the frame and wrap it separately.
- For packages going overseas, don’t use coloured address labels eg – red and green.
More helpful packaging tips
- Select a box that is strong enough to protect the contents. Leave space for cushioning inside the carton.
- Package contents with shredded or rolled newspaper, bubble wrap, or Styrofoam peanuts. Plain air-popped popcorn is also good for cushioning; pack tightly to avoid shifting.
- Always use tape that is designed for shipping, such as pressure-sensitive tape, nylon-reinforced craft paper tape, or fiberglass-reinforced pressure-sensitive tape. Do not use wrapping paper, string, masking tape, or cellophane tape.
- Placing an index card containing the sender’s and recipient’s addresses inside the package will help the CIPS and other postal administrations to repack boxes that were improperly wrapped and came apart during transporting and processing.
- Remember that packages should not weigh more than 22 pounds and package dimensions should not exceed 42” length x72” width.
Important dates to remember when sending packages and mail this holiday season.
|Destination||Air Parcels||Air Mail / Christmas Cards / Printed Papers / Letters & Postcards||Surface Mail||EMS|
|Canada & U.S.A.||4 December||11 December||20 November||14 December|
|U.K. & W. Europe||27 November||7 December||6 November||11 December|
|All other countries||30 November||5 December||6 November||7 December|
Can’t remember the shipping deadline? Log on to CIPS website www.caymanpost.gov.ky for shipping dates.